Manual Digging Articles
This is the Index of links to our articles on manual digging, trenching, and soil moving. Also our popular Drainage Guide for home and yard problems.
If you are shopping for tools, go to the
Trenchers and Trenching Guide
Covers both powered and manual trenching tools and techniques for DIY projects.
Digging through Rocks and Roots
How to use a pick, mattock, or digging bar to break through hard soil, roots, or rocks.
Scoop Shovels on the Farm
Julie tells us all the things they shoveled and scooped up on her family farm.
Digging Tool Storage
How to safely organize and store your long-handled tools.
Special purpose wheelbarrows that can out perform the conventional ones.
Drainage and French Drain Guide
Everything you need to know to find and fix your yard's drainage problems.
- Step1: Analyze the problem
- Step 2: Design the drainage system
- Step 3: Position the system in your yard
- Step 4: Evaluate the results
- How to install a French Drain
- Find the slope of your trenches
- Drywell design and installation
- Foundation problems and downspouts
- Which pipe to use (and not use)
- Pipe connectors for best results