Professor John R. Stilgoe
Author of book excerpted on EasyDigging.com
Professor Stilgoe has traveled extensively through out the United States. He estimates that he has covered 800,000 miles. The photographs in his book Common Landscape of America confirms his geographic range of study.
He also restores and sails antique boats. And you may enjoy reading his
Education ought to work outdoors, in the rain and the sleet, in the knife-like heat of a summertime Nebraska wheat field, along a half-abandoned railroad track on a dark autumn afternoon, on the North Atlantic in winter. All that I do is urge my students and my readers to look around, to realize how wonderfully rich is the built environment, even if the environment is only a lifeboat close-hauled in a chiaroscuro sea.
Books by John R Stilgoe
- What is Landscape? (2015)
- Train Time: Railroads and Imminent Landscape Change (2007)
- Borderland: Origins of the American Suburb, 1820-1939 (1990)
- Old Fields: Photography, Glamour, and Fantasy Landscape (2014)
- Outside Lies Magic (1998)