Tool Care and Sharpening Instructions
To Sharpen a Garden Hoe
- Position the tool with the blade pointed up.
- File the outside edge only of the blade to a sharp angle (as shown) using the coarse side of the file.
- Using the mild side of the sharpener file, lightly remove any nicks or burrs from the inside edge of the blade keeping the file fairly flat and parallel to the blade.
- Finish off the outside edge of the blade with the mild side of the sharpening file to an even, sharp edge.
- Clean soil from the handle after each use.
- Check the wedge occasionally during use and tap back into place if needed.
- Once or twice a year, re-oil the handle using a penetrating wood oil finish like Tung Oil or Danish Oil.
- Clean soil off the blade after each use.
- Keep the blade sharp using the Farmer's Own File.
- Before storing for winter, oil the blade to prevent rust.